No public displays of affection; not even hand-holding.
Showing affection is condiered vulgar in public, and should only be exercised privately. We weren't aware how natural it is for us to hold hands while walking, and we spent the day with one person reaching for the hand, and the other swatting it away. Nobody gave us any dirty looks.
Siem Reap is fantastic. We've not encountered any of the duplicity we found in the Bangkok urbanites, the weather is outstanding (85 F) and the town is situated on either side of the quite, muddy, Siem Reap river (it's more of a stream). Our hotel is right on the shore.
Some other interesting episodes here on the first day:
- A man driving a motorbike with four (four!) pigs tethered belly-up to the back of the bike. The pigs were still scurrying.
- A shopowner in the market tells her un-diabered toddler son to to pee. He stands at the threshold, facing out of the shop door, and urinates onto the dusty public sidewalk. A man walks by, watching, and treads directly through the resulting puddle.
- Adolescents bathe in public, in the stagnant, muddy, brown, Siem Reap river.
- We helped the boy at the reception desk with his resume cover letter; he was applying for a reception position at another Siem Reap hotel.
3 comments:
YOU'RE DOING A GREAT JOB WITH THE PHOTOS.KEEP THEM COMING AND THANKS FOR SHARING THEM!
A. Shirley
We are getting ready for our trip to some restaurant tonight. I have gone through my purse dumping it out and removing the things I don't really need in preparation. Dad has checked his wallet a few times verifying we have a debit card and a credit card. He also has a secret compartment for some cash if needed. We will be driving and I am sitting gunshot. I will be reclining so as to be ready to take over the driving should Dad get tired. It is a 15 minute car ride but during rush hour, it could add two to three more minutes and we want to be ready. With any luck we will be on 62 when a plane flys over so I can make a wish and we can feel the rumble of the landing jet. But you know how airlines are, we will probably miss the flight or it will be delayed. I have been walking between the two computers to get ready for a possible 200 foot walk from the car to the restaurant, but I am ready. I have to take a nap this afternoon so I am not tired. Toodles, MN Mom
I like the sarcasm Mrs. Ehrlich. Keep it coming!!! I too am working very hard at keeping up my fitness so that my walk to the snack table at work isn't too taxing.
Post a Comment