Monday, February 26, 2007

Nara


We spent the day in Nara, Japan - the capitol city of Japan before Kyoto and Tokyo. Aside from the constant barrage of Japanese public announcements and suspiciously-brainwashy children's songs blaring over lamppost loudspeakers, Nara was charming.

The premier destination in Nara is the Todaiji temple, the largest wooden structure in the world. It houses a 55-foot bronze buddha, which was so expensive to build that it crippled the economy and led to a peasant revolt. Goes to show that you gotta pay for the food-ha before you splurge on the buddha! (tap, tap, tap) Hello? Is this thing on?

Whilst in Nara, we ate something called Yakisoba (we're not quite sure what this is) which was cooked right at our table. We couldn't recognize it by taste, smell, or appearance, but it was tasty with sake.

We've also learned a bit about the hipster scene by observing the urban youth. Either the fashion is twenty years behind or five years ahead (and sometimes, what's the difference?). In case it's the former, here's what you can expect - primarily compiled by Sara, the Friedman fashion consultant:
  • Paula Abdul/Cindy Lauper hair (both genders).
  • Elvis sunglasses.
  • Schoolgirl uniforms and pigtails for young adults.
  • Short skirts (or multiples) with high boots or high socks.
  • Cowboy boots or converse all-stars.
  • Nihilistic English sayings on t-shirts (pictured at right).
  • For the senior citizen ladies, hair colored like bland snow-cones - white with some scattered hints of blue and pink.
Back to Tokyo for two nights. Eat a burrito for us.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Wow!! I love the pictures. Oh the places you've gone and the sites you have seen. Thanks for taking all the time to write and include the pictures. I can hardly believe all you have done in less than a week. I can't wait to have sake with you. Love you tons and miss you tons, MN Mom

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures, particularly the ones with both of you. They make good backgrounds and conversation pieces at work.

Love,
Dad

Kristin said...

Since I am now done with school, but am not planning on leaving minneapolis city limits, much less the country, I will be devoting all of my time to the friedmanarchy blog. Say hi to the asians for me!